TOTAL SOUTH AFRICA TAKES THE LEAD
ISOVOLTINE BIO VE - Our Insulating oil range goes green
Q & A with Kamil de Villiers, Total’s Business Manager, Lubricants South Africa.
How is Total South Africa is taking the lead?
We are happy and proud to announce that TOTAL South-Africa will be the first of the global affiliates to supply a new safer and environmentally friendlier alternative to conventional transformer oils in 2017. As a leading energy company Total prides itself in providing solutions for the future that are not only leaner, but that also offers a safer operational environment to its customers.
When will this product be launched?
The product will come from Europe and is being delivered in April 2017.
Where will it be available?
We will supply from our Distribution Centre in Durban to TSA distributors nationwide.
What makes ISOVOLTINE BIO VE special?
It is a high-performance, biodegradable, dielectric oil formulated from selected vegetable esters. In use the product will have superior resistance to oxidation and stability at high temperatures.
For those of us who are not technical people, what is an Insulating Transformer Oil?
A transformer is used to modify an electrical signal. For safety purposes, the transformer needs to be protected from any hazard. The complete circuit is secured by means of an insulated paper submerged in a lubricant bath. Insulating oils are used for electrical transformers cooling. Other important functions include cooling, resistance to aging and cold temperature performance. Traditionally, most of the oils used are mineral (naphthenic or paraffinic).
So why the need for a new oil?
ISOVOLTINE BIO VE is better suited for transformers subjected to fire hazard and environmental concerns:
- Transformers in confined spaces or difficult-to-access areas such as in urban districts, buildings, railways, underground networks and mining activities.
- Transformers in environmentally sensitive areas such as in distribution networks or renewable-based power stations (hydro & solar).
- Total new transformer oil ISOVOLTINE BIO VE is compatible with mineral and ester-based transformer oils. The replacement can be done through a topping up or a complete drain.
What are the benefits?
- Very high flash point (310°C) and fire point (350°C) which means a lower risk to the customer
- Environmental biodegradability, no toxic materials and reduced carbon footprint
- Meets IEC 61039 K2
- Drain intervals - High water adsorption (insulated paper protection improved)
- Transformers life is extended
Says Chris Walkinshaw, General Manager: Lubricants and Specialities: “Total is committed to bringing to the South African market premium quality lubricants that benefit customers in reducing operating costs. “